Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of booking through Key Travel ?
- Access to Humanitarian Rates
- Increased flexibility on Humanitarian fares
- Discounted or waived cancellation fees – Depending on fare rules
- Discounted or waived change fees – Depending on fare rules
- Additional baggage allowance – Depending on fare rules
- Access to flight, hotel and car bookings in one tool, easing burden on Clinic Leader
- Easy communication from Clinic Leader to with the Clinic team re travel and itinerary
- Every booking embedded with Risk Management.
- Compliance with VOSH/International Travel Policy t
- Expert telephone support 24h/7
Who can book through Key Travel in order to take advantage of the special VOSH rates and benefits?
You can use Key travel service if you are:
- A member of VOSH/International and booking for yourself or on behalf of a member of staff travelling for VOSH/International.
- A VOSH clinic leader organizing a VOSH clinic
- A VOSH volunteer traveling to a VOSH clinic
- Independent VOSH humanitarian travel
Can I book personal travel through Key Travel?
Any VOSH trip leader, clinic volunteer or an authorized V/I board member or staff can book through this portal for purposes of humanitarian travel. At the first page, click on “Volunteer Independent Travel”. All will be responsible for their own costs and payment, other than authorized V/I board members or staff.
How can I become a Registered User? I have tried to access the tool but I receive the message: Not a Registered User.
Authorized members of staff and the clinic leaders can add someone as a Registered User. Please contact the appropriate VOSH member to have you added as a Registered User (see 1 below).
Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email with the log in access within 48 hours.
What is the process of booking through Key Travel?
To access the online booking tool or make reservations with the offline team you must be a registered user.
- Advise one of the following V/I representatives Maria Arce (email@example.com) , Michael Ciszek, OD (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Natalie Venezia (email@example.com) that you want to plan a trip. It will take 48 hours for you to be approved to enter the Key Travel Portal.
- After approval, go to https://www.keytravel.com/us and log in using your email and creating a password, following the prompts.
VOSH/International Executive, Board Members and Staff:
- Once you log in, choose to book as a “VOSH/International Executive Committee”. Start booking your flights, hotels, or car rental as you work your way through your plans. You can find support on how to book and to take full advantage of the Key Travel benefits here.
- You can create your Traveler Profile using the “Profile Manager” link (you will only have to do this once). This will enable you to save personal travel details such as passport details, frequent flyer numbers, etc. You can create profiles on behalf of others. You can always go back later and complete your profile. Please note any data held under your profile is protected and will only be accessible by you.
- Once at the Check Out page, ensure you have entered the name of the passenger as per her/his passport. If your request is out of policy your itinerary will be sent for approval by the Executive Director or other authorized person.
- Once booking is confirmed you will receive an email confirmation directly in your inbox.
- You can find all existing booking, quote or held options under the “View My Trip” icon (little suitcase).
VOSH Clinic Leaders:
- Once you log in, choose to book as a “VOSH Clinic Travel.” Note: If you are traveling on non-clinic VOSH business, you can still take advantage of the benefits offered through this portal by booking as “VOSH Independent Travel”.
- Click on “Booking Online” to access the online booking tool and explore flights options. Start booking your flights, hotels, or car rental as you work your way through your plans. You can find support on how to book and to take full advantage of the Key travel benefits here. <add link to booking manual>.
- You can create your Traveller Profile using the “Profile Manager” link (you will only have to do this once). This will enable you to save personal travel details such as passport details, Frequent flyers, etc. You can create profiles on behalf of others. You can always go back later and complete your profile. Please note any data held under your profile is protected and will only be accessible by yourself.
- Once at the check out page ensure you have entered your name as per your passport and send your travel to your Clinic Leader for approval. Start typing the name of your approver in the approver book this should appear for you to select.
- The payment details will be entered before sending your approval and debited once the journey approved. In the occurrence of your journey being rejected by your clinic leader your card will NOT be charged.
As a Clinic Leader, how do I communicate my preferred travel arrangements to my team?
- First, it is important that you have shared your team list – 48h prior contacting your team – with Key Travel as each volunteer must be a “Registered User” to access the online booking tool.
- Once you have determined your clinic itinerary, you can send a selection of options to all your team members. Search for your trip itinerary, adding your date and destination, and hit FIND FLIGHT. From the flight result page, simply add on your basket (bottom left) any suitable options. You can add as many flight quotes as you want.
- Once all the options have been added to your basket, click on the “Basket” icon and select “Send Quote”. Add all team members to whom you want to send the itinerary. Ensure your click on the + sign and that all email addresses are displayed on the right end box). Each participant will then receive an email with a link from which they will be able to access the tool and make the appropriate booking.
- Each Volunteer will be asked to send you his/her itinerary for your final approval. Once you approve the trip, their itinerary will be booked and confirmed directly to the volunteer.
As a Clinic volunteer, how do I create my travel arrangements to coordinate with my team?
- Your Clinic Leader will have already submitted your name as an “Registered User”. If not, contact your Clinic Leader and ask him/her to do so.
- You should receive your Clinic Leader’s proposal by email. Follow the link in the email and you will access a list of suitable options for the journey.
- From that page, suppress the options that are not suitable and keep only the one you would like to confirm. Once there is only one option left on your screen, hit Book or Hold to proceed with your reservation.
- If the option or the fare is no longer valid the system will let you know. You can then look for an alternative option in line with the original recommendations from your Clinic Leader. You can search directly in the tool; you do not have to go back to the email.
- If you need to book a different itinerary than the one proposed by the Clinic Leader, you can do so and it will be submitted to the Clinic Leader for approval.
- You will be asked for payment before your itinerary is sent to the Clinic Leader for approval. However, your credit card will NOT be charged until your itinerary is approved by the Clinic Leader.
- Once the Clinic Leader approves your itinerary, you will receive an email advising you that you have been booked per your itinerary.
How do I pay for my clinic travel?
The Clinic Leader and each volunteer is responsible for his or her own travel expenses and you can pay directly to Key Travel via credit card. Although you may be asked for your payment information, payment will only be charged once the travel is approved by the Clinic Leader.
Will V/I or the VOSH Clinic leader be able to see my reservations?
Once your booking is confirmed, you will be the only person to have access to your trip details. You may share those details with your trip leader using the share option.
Your trip leader will acknowledge your trip details at time of approval.
Can I add my journey to my calendar?
Once your journey is confirmed and your ticket is issued you can add all details to your calendar. Go to the View My trip section (it is the little suitcase on the left side), click on the trip ID you want to add. Hit the Calendar icon. You will then receive an email asking you to add the details into your calendar.
How many bags can I bring and what will I be charged?
Once you choose your flight, you will see the number of bags included in each quotation and other benefits related to that fare.
Typically, most flights will allow some free baggage allowance, as negotiated by Key Travel. For most of the low cost offers, bags can be added at check out.
Should you want more luggage then the fare offers, you will have to purchase it on the airline website directly.
How can I find my existing bookings?
Once your journey is confirmed and your ticket is issued it will be listed in the View My Trip section. Go to the View My trip section on the main Menu (it is the little suitcase on the left side). You will then see all your past and future bookings.
How do I change or cancel my bookings?
For any further questions in regards with Key Travel booking tools functionality such as changes and cancellations, please go to Key Travel’s Travel Academy and FAQs.
What if I have an emergency or change of plans while in-country?
Contact Key Travel through those contact details
Can Key Travel help me obtain my visa or renew my passport?
Yes, once you start the process you will see the option to seek assistance from Key Travel. There may be an extra fee involved.
How do I know if it is safe to travel?
We recommend you consult the US Department of State website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html, and register with the US embassy of the county in which you will be traveling.
I see a cheaper flight on the Airline’s website. Why wouldn’t I just book directly with the airline?
Most likely that airline will not provide you with the benefits given to you by booking through Key Travel. Beware of hidden costs and ensure you are comparing the same level of product: is the flight refundable and at what cost? Does the fare include luggage? What are the charges to change my flight?
For example, we booked a test clinic trip from LAX-Lima, Peru in September 2021. The fare through Key Travel on Avianca was $857US total.
no change fee from the airline
no charge for a refund from the airline
free seat selection
1 checked bag
Booking the same itinerary through the Avianca website at first seemed to be $848US.
But then there is:
a $300 change fee
a $300 cancellation fee
a charge to reserve a seat (from $25-50)
Bringing the price to $887US.
Is there someone specifically at Key Travel who I can call or email if I have questions?
Key Travel: If you need online help, there is a “Help” button on the top right of your screen. Also, each time you book travel through Key Travel, you will be assigned a Key Travel representative, with whom you can communicate, before, during and after your travel. Find the contact details here.
Does VOSH/International have any responsibility regarding my travel plans?
VOSH/International has no responsibility for your trip, including payment of your travel and related costs, your safety, loss or theft, or any other matters or issues. See VOSH Travel and Safety Policies https://vosh.org/get-involved/vosh-travel-assistance/