The Impact of VOSH in 2018
VOSH has grown tremendously since its inception by Dr. Franklin Harms in the early 1970’s. In 2018, VOSH counted 84 Chapters worldwide with thousands of VOSH members that provided care in over 100 clinics. VOSH provided eye care to thousands of people in need both in our own communities and around the world. However, that is not all that VOSH did….
VOSH is working hard in many different ways to contribute to global optometry and helping all to access eye care. VOSH/International has several key projects including:
- Data Collection to contribute to the global knowledge base of vision loss, blindness and the need for eye care
- MOVE (Motivating Others to VOSH Excellence) launched the Ambassadors’ Programsharing of education and expertise in specific areas such as contact lenses, low vision, ocular health, and primary optometry by supporting experts (VOSH/International Ambassadors) to visit emerging VOSH and SVOSH chapters
- Technology transfer program had a big year by providing equipment to the new optometry school in Haiti
- VOSH Corps continue to help recruit and place faculty members at newly established Optometry schools
- Resource for VOSH chapters for domestic and international work
You can read more about these efforts and how you can get involved on our website at vosh.org.
VOSH/International is proud to be a continued part of the philanthropic community in eye care. Vision Care Product News (VCPNz) published a wonderful edition that highlights this community in their ‘Philantra-Optic Section’; you can read more about it here:
Looking forward to everyone’s continued and expanded efforts in 2019!
Tracy Matchinski, OD, FAAO, FVI