We need more ODs to help us in conducting an eye camp in October in the Tibeto-Burmese indigenous people residing in the hilly regions of Nepal.
Currently, our plan is to do this trip on the 3rd week of September, 20th to be exact. This will be the best time based on the weather conditions and thus the road travel. However, if the availability VOSH members travelling feel more comfortable at any other time, we can definitely look/discuss on that as well.
In addition, if any of the VOSH team members feel like staying for a couple of more days, you will be more than welcome to go for trekking or hiking in the Himalayas. We have a travel agent booked for the whole trip and they can provide you with an affordable rate for hiking and trekking expeditions.
Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu.
At Kathmandu International Airport, you will be met and welcomed by BVFN team. The travel agency will arrange the transportation to your hotel. There will be a full tour and program briefing in the evening while enjoying a traditional Newari dinner.
Day 2: Kathmandu Valley Tour
The travel agent has arranged a full day Kathmandu valley tour.
• Drive to Bouddhanath Stupa and sightseeing for about 45 minutes in Bouddhanath
• Drive to Pashupatinath temple and sightseeing for about 45 minutes
• Drive to Patan Durbar Square, visit the old royal palace, golden temple, and Mahabouddha temple and sightseeing in Durbar Square area for about 45 minutes
• At 6:30 in the evening Nepali Traditional dinner with Cultural Program
Day 3: Kathmandu – Manahari, Makwanpur (Only Bed)
This marks the beginning of our actual program. We will be travelling to Hetauda, the district headquarter of Makwanpur district. Kathmandu to Hetauda by road is approximately 90 kilometres. As this is a very hilly road with lots of steep turns, it will take about 5 hours in a four-wheel drive.
After having breakfast in the hotel, at 9 am, we will start our journey to Hetauda. We will stop for a small break at Hetauda and from there to Manhari is about an hour drive (as it is fairly a straight highway).
We will spend our night at a hotel in Manhari.
Day 4-7: Manahari – Raksirang
We will be travelling to the villages (Raksirang/Kailash) to start the eye camp. We will arrange a four-wheel SUV/Van to take us from Manhari to the villages and back to Manhari hotel. We have to come back to Manhari as there are no accommodation options in the villages.
If we finish these two villages (5000 population) in 3 days, we can spend the next day in another Chepang village.
Day 8: Manahari – Sauraha (Chitwan National Park)
After four days of extensive and tiring eye camp, time to relax a little bit, enjoy local culture and pristine natural views in Sauraha. After 2-3 hours’ drive from Manahari we will reach Sauraha for lunch. After lunch we will have Tharu Village Tour then sun set view followed by Tharu Cultural Program and dinner at Hotel.
Day 9: Activities in Sauraha
On this day there will be Elephant Back Safari, Canoe ride, Visit to Elephant Breeding Center and short jungle walk.
If time allows, we will visit an eye hospital in Bharatpur and see how a large volume eye hospitals in Nepal function.
Day 10: Fly Back to Kathmandu
After breakfast we will go Bird Watching and then transfer to Bharatpur Airport. You will be met by the travel agency representative and transfer to your hotel.
If time allows, we will visit BP Koirala Lions Centre for Ophthalmic Studies which runs the country’s only optometry program.
C. Eye Camp:
a. Target villages: Raksirang, Kailash
b. Duration: 4 days, 6 hours per day
c. Total population: 5000-7500
d. Activities in the camp: Vision screening, eye health screening, distribution of spectacles for presbyopia and simple refractive errors (readymade spectacles), distribution of medicines for common eye diseases, public awareness programs about eye and vision health, screening for general health problems (if possible),
e. Personnel for the camp: Optometrists from BVFN, VOSH team, local volunteers, Nurse/Health assistant, Optometry students from Nepal, translators etc
D. The travel plan/cost includes:
• All transfers to and from the airport accompanied by an English speaking representative.
• All transportation.
• All accommodation based on twin sharing. Twin rooms are provided for non-couples as well as couples
• English speaking Guide for Kathmandu Valley Tour.
• All meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) – All park permit – Elephant Safari – Village Tour – Cultural Program – Elephant Breeding Center – Canoeing – short Jungle Walk – Bird Watching at Chitwan National Park.
• Return air ticket from Bharatpur.
E. Individual cost responsibilities:
• International Air fare and Airport Tax.
• Any kind of personal Travel Insurance.
• Any item not detailed in the “What is Included”
• Any other personal expenses (Phone calls, bar bills, laundry, water bottle etc)
F. Total Cost:
1100 USD per person
Thank you so much.